Songs that are insanely popular in Korea that you might not even know exist

 


Yeah, it's been a while... but does anyone even check this blog? No. So anyways, i've been (was) living in Busan the past two years. I moved back to Toronto this year since i'm doing my Masters in Teaching! So, why am i telling you this? So that you know I am basing this list off of my experience living in Busan. 

1. Yerin Baek - Square (2017)

So this song... was SO popular last year (2019). Like literally played everywhere. You could not go out without hearing this song. I honestly did not even know what this song was called or who sang it until I played a random apple music playlist, and then this song popped on. I was like "... this song... i've heard hundredths of times by now but who the heck sings it." I realized that this is exactly why Koreans have no idea who our faves are, even if they have a popular song. It's like how we listen to pop songs here. I know y'all cannot name half the songs on the radio. 



2. Pentagon - Shine 

Honestly, maybe I was living under a rock, but I did not know this song existed until I started living in Korea, and I moved there in 2018. This song came out before then and I have no idea how the success of it was when it came out, but this song is THE most popular boy group song of the last decade. Yes, I'm sorry if that's hard for you to believe, especially if you're a fan of BTS, but no boy group can hold a candle to this song's popularity amongst the general public, especially my students (middle school). This song was performed at the 2018, and 2019 school festivals, and trust me these kids take the song selection seriously. There were literally 2 different groups who performed this song at my schools 2018 festival, and they're not supposed to have overlapping songs. Also this song is SO good, so honestly it deserves all the success. It's just TOO good. Cube really messed up with this group. 


3. B1A4 - A Lie

So, as a B1A4 fan, like literally they're my top boy group of all time and I think they have the best discography out of any k-pop group in general, I thought this song flopped in Korea. As soon as fall hits, this song gets played. Basically, fall does not get to leave until this song gets played. I cannot believe I would not have known this if I never lived in Korea. The misrepresentation of popularity B1A4 has to endure in the international k-pop scene... is insane. This group is one of the most iconic groups to exist, especially for students who were in elementary, middle, and high school when beautiful target came out. Their Christmas song, they only have one, also gets played every winter. Every cafe plays it, it's in everyone's Christmas playlist, and it even charts on Melon during that time of the year. 



4. BTOB - Missing You

Last, but certainly not least, like actually this is the most popular song on this list, BTOB's Missing You. You may already know this song is popular, but I honestly ignored its existence as an international fan. I thought it was simply charting high because it was a ballad and maybe their company was even doing something... I am sorry BTOB I am SORRY. I am a rat. 100%. This song was released in 2017, and it still gets played everywhere. I literally know the lyrics of the chorus when I never even listened to it on my own time (until like two months ago cause I missed hearing it). This song is so beautiful, and I wouldn't have realized how much of a great song this was if I didn't have it thrown in my face as soon as I wake up in the morning, open my door, breathe etc. 

Anyways, that's the end of this list. I can do more if you want, just comment and let me know!

Comments