Album Review: 徐佳瑩 (Lala Hsu) - 心裡學 (The Inner Me)


8/10

Its been SO long since we've gotten a Lala Hsu album, and every year since her last album i've been waiting for her to release her next one. I am so excited to start this review since as you can tell i'm a HUGE fan of her music.

Lala is what you would call a real musician in the mainstream pop world. Her sound is something only she can produce and it just shows the amount of input she has on her sound. On December 29th she released her 5th album "The inner me," and it's another great piece of work to add to her already amazing discography.

Let me first say that i did not have much of an opinion of this album when it first came out. I knew it was a nice album but i was unsure if i really liked it or if it would be yet another "just nice" album i'd leave on my itunes but never listen to (which is usually what happens with me). But I am writing this to inform you all to download this album ASAP!"

I think this is her best work after her masterpiece of a 3rd album (理想人生), Which by the way, you also need to download ASAP because it may just be the best album in CPOP history, and probably one of the best pop albums of all time. Although this album is nowhere near being as great, it's a good album with few flaws.

The album is consistently beautiful from start to finish with few points where i think "i wish this was different."

言不由衷 7/10: A really beautiful track to start the album. It's her signature sound; a slow, quiet ballad.

灰色 9/10: Another ballad, but it explodes at the end with some electronics (my favourite part). The parts before that are just as good though. I love the vocal melody and arrangement of this piece. It's such a beautiful love song, you really feel this one. "Baby I have loved you from the start"

到此為止 8.5/10: A more dark ballad, which i also love and think is a great piece. In my top 5 best tracks of this album. The chorus just spells you in. She always has one of these dark theatrical ballads in all of her albums. I think there's too much going on sometimes though, although i know she purposely did this to make it theatrical... i'm not a fan of explosions of drums and electric guitar throughout.

記得帶走 7/10: A soft sweet ballad. Not that interesting though.

病人 7/10: verses are great, chorus does not match at all though and i really dislike the chord progression in the chorus / vocal melody... so unfortunately this is a skip track.

現在不跳舞要幹嘛 9/10: A great, jazzy and catchy JAM! I love this song. It's so uplifting.

大頭仔 8/10: Anther jazzy track, not as great as the previous one, but the effects used are pretty neat and its a nice listen.

兒歌 7/10: A nice ballad, but it's typical and really forgettable.

人啊 6/10: Even more typical than the previous track.

心裡學 10/10: My favourite song. The album is named after this song. It's such a lowkey ballad, and as y'all know by now, thats my favourite kind of ballad. Just a light guitar in the background at the beginning, a piano added in later on, and a beautiful vocal melody. The last chorus gives me goosebumps. A beautiful piece.

是日救星 9/10: A powerful track. I don't know what else to say. instrumental clearly had A LOT of work put into it. Was also the first single released from the album.

Comments