Album Review: Kana Nishino - Just Love


4/10

Every Kana Nishino fan i know has been waiting for her to finally put out something interesting and as good as her releases from 2010~2012.... unfortunately this will not fulfill any of those wishes. It seems Kana's music just keeps getting more and more generic and less distinctive. In the past I would never even fret a Kana release having a single skippable song but those days are long gone now since i now delete, if not 100%, 90% of the tracks from her releases, whether they be singles or albums.

I have actually enjoyed some tracks from the singer since her golden days. Song's like Sayonara, Brand new me, Darling, I say No, and No. 1 which have made me not completely give up on her, but it's just too rare now and no one really expects her to release good songs anymore, well except for Japan who is completely in love with all her versions of Darling.

Although this is meant to be a review of this album, there's not much to say since most of the tracks are easily forgettable, and some just too embarrassing to listen to. It's comprised mostly of acoustic instruments, most of the songs being upbeat cheery songs. But Kana has improved in one aspect with this release, she never once requested her listeners to clap clap their hands!

Now that's enough negativity, time for the part that actually matters; the songs I actually enjoyed and kept from this release. I surprisingly kept four songs from this album (that's considered a lot now). Two of the songs i kept are on the slower side (wish upon a star, set me free). The former is a nice mid-tempo track with a single acoustic guitar tune being the back bone of the track. The latter is a more emotional ballad, it doesn't hold a candle to the singers other ballads like dear or if but i'll take it.

The other two songs i liked are more upbeat, Holiday and I wanna see you dance (my personal favourite). Holiday is a quirky song, that Kana seems to find obligatory to add to her albums, and the english lyrics can be a little embarrassing at first but for some reason i find myself bopping my head when she says "drink and eat, repeat. mm, it's so much fun!" I wanna see you dance on the other hand is the most upbeat track on the album, and it's the only dance track. Damn does Kana know how to do dance tracks, no matter how bad her albums are now she makes sure to include at lest one jam. On her last album it was Abracadabra, and on this one it's definitely IWSYD.

To end off, i will leave you with a list of these four songs and my rating for them. I will also say, although i have made multiple insults to princess Nishino through this review, it's only because i love(ed) her music so much and am actually a huge fan of the singer. I mean, i can't forget someone who released three incredible albums in a row (to love, thank you love, love place). If you haven't heard those then... why are you even worrying about this release? Go download those asap and save your summer!

(Track 6) Wish Upon a Star 7/10

(Track 10) Holiday 7/10

(Track 11) I Wanna See You Dance 8/10

(Track 12) Set Me Free 8/10

Comments