Album Review: EPIK HIGH - WE`VE DONE SOMETHING WONDERFUL


8/10

I can't believe the last album Epik High put out was in 2014, It really doesn't seem like that long ago, years seem to be passing by like months, but let's not get depressed at the start of this review. Epik High has ~finally~ put out a new album, and as someone who stopped anticipating their releases quite a while ago, I liked it very much.

After Epik High joined YGE I was one of those people who really hated their new sound. Thankfully they scrapped that rafter that awful album they put out right after joining. Since then they've gone back to their roots, releasing two solid albums: Happen Ending, and now "We've done something wonderful."

To be honest, I think it was only with this album that Epik High really returned to their most genuine state. Born hater completely ruined their last full album comeback for me, they still seemed to be influenced by YG's image and I honestly hate whatever wannabe image YG pulls with all of their artists so I only got into that album far after it was released. 

I actually did not love this album at all on first listen. Actually, no tracks really stood out to me on first listen and I was really just going to delete the whole thing, but I knew I should give it another chance, because it's Epik High!

After a few weeks went by i filtered this album and only kept songs I thought were nice, but then I fell in love with those few tracks which really made me realize that this was a really great release. The album definitely follows a certain concept lyrically. It's all about the pain one can feel while following their dreams, although not every track is about this, i feel this album is mainly about what kind of pain they've felt while being not only rappers, but popular celebrities. And now my track by track review begins below! (note: i'm only gonna talk about the songs I kept, cause i honestly cannot recall how the songs I deleted sound like, nor do i really feel like talking about why I didn't like them, they just weren't enough for me to keep)

1. 연애소설 (Feat. 아이유) 

Honestly at first I thought this song was so basic, and you know what it still is a really cookie cutter song you hear quite frequently in gayo (popular Korean pop music(?)). This is no Umbrella but let us face it, an Epik High song with a female feature will never come even slightly close to umbrella, its a song to go down in the history books. This song is still really nice though despite it's predictable qualities. It's really the tone of the song that makes it a really nice listen, IU did a great job. The piano in the background throughout the song is probably the best thing about this track for me though.

2. 노땡큐 (Feat. MINO, 사이먼 도미닉, 더콰이엇) 

I deleted this song but then brought it back. Why? Because of the lyrics and I am also very simon D biased but like I really didn't like this song at first. I just HATE fake pity (what this song is about) and have experienced it far too much in my life. All these people giving you fake concern, they don't even know you but all of a sudden they ask about your life and try to help you but uh mind your own business worry about yourself, no one asked ur stranger ass for advice (this is rlly the lowest quality review blog i apologize).

3. 빈차 (Feat. 오혁) 

Ohhyuks voice was basically made to be featured on an Epik High song. I don't listen to this song that much, because the melody isn't that interesting, but the lyrics are really nice and there's a really depressing mood set in this song that makes it memorable. The song seems to be about losing sight of the whole purpose of what you've been fighting for. 

4. 상실의 순기능 (Feat. 수현)

This is one of my favourite songs on this release. Soohyuns voice sounds SO sad and you can just hear the pain in her voice, it just really gives you goosebumps when you listen to it, especially when Tablo starts rapping right after. What makes this song so charming to me is how lowkey it is. There's really minimal things going on in this song instrumental wise, which allows Soohyuns voice and Tablos & Mithras raps stand out even more.

5. BLEED 

This is probably the best song, instrumental and melody wise, on this album. The instrumental is very clean but strong and goes so well with what this song is about. There's really nothing more to say. The lyrics are genius, the instrumental is brilliant. Nothing is over produced. It's THE perfect b-side.

6. 개화(開花) (Feat. 김종완 of 넬)

Now this is my favourite song on the album, and for two reasons: 1. The lyrics just hit me hard especially during this time of my life. 2. Tablos rapping on this is brilliant to say the least. Honestly, I am not a fan of Kim Jowans voice, I actually hate his vocalization and it's the reason why i don't really care for Nells music besides that one album they released in 2012. I actually wish there was no feature on this album at all, because it is unneeded. The lyrics, the instrumental, and Tablos rap on this are just SO strong that having a vocal like Kim Jowan feature on it makes it almost sound TOO over powering. I wish they at least had a softer vocal do the chorus, or even better, had Tablo sing it. (ok i just thought about how good Jungkook would sound on this track and now I'm sad.)


2. 연애소설 (Feat. 아이유) 8/10
3. 노땡큐 (Feat. MINO, 사이먼 도미닉, 더콰이엇) 7/10
4. 빈차 (Feat. 오혁) 7.5/10
6. 상실의 순기능 (Feat. 수현) 9/10
7. BLEED 10/10
10. 개화(開花) (Feat. 김종완 of 넬) 9.5/10

Comments